You may be surprised to learn that two of the most common effects of low testosterone are mood swings and depression. If you thought that low testosterone only affected your sex life, think again. The problems of low testosterone extend to your mental health, too. Several studies link low testosterone with depression, for example. Find out how low T levels have a negative effect on your psychological wellbeing, and what you can do about it.
Low Testosterone: Mental Health Effects
- The lack of energy that comes with low testosterone can also be a blow to your mental health – you don’t feel like working out, or eating healthily, which has a knock-on effect for your weight and your self-esteem.
- Reduced strength and reduced muscle mass is a problem for many men.
- Low testosterone causes sleep problems. When you are suffering from lack of quality sleep it is more likely you will also suffer from mental health problems like depression.
- Low testosterone is associated with distressing feelings of irritability, sadness, and difficulty concentrating.
- Factors like increased breast size, decrease in body hair, and loss of muscle mass all deal a powerful blow to your self-esteem and self-confidence.
Low Testosterone: What You Can Do
Many of these factors combine to produce overwhelming feelings of anxiety or depression. Feeling sad or worthless can become a part of life. But the good news is you don’t have to suffer with these mental health problems. If you are concerned that low testosterone is negatively affecting your life and health, see a professional. Getting professional help for a low T problem is essential if you want to be back to your normal self again, free from depression and other mental health issues. You can try testosterone replacement therapy, natural remedies for low testosterone, lifestyle changes to increase testosterone such as exercise, a healthy diet, and more sleep, and therapies that help you deal with the issues surrounding low testosterone. Counselling can make a big difference, for example.